Tuesday, May 10, 2016

#9 - The Results

Hi~

Originally, for this project, I wanted to compare all of the diseases in the gastrointestinal tract. However, when I arrived at the center, I narrowed it down to specifically ulcers. My main research question then became:

Are Ayurvedic treatments more effective than proton pump inhibitors for treating ulcers and acidity related problems in the gastrointestinal tract?

For my research, I interviewed patients in the outpatient department. Many of them were there for follow-up appointments, which helped me gather even more data for my research. I studied 30 case histories, 15 male and 15 females. To give you an idea of the age distribution, here is a graph below. 


 The reason that there are not 30 dots on the graph is because some of the patients shared the same age.

I then presented them with a questionnaire regarding their health. I would ask them how long they've had ulcers or acidity, what medication they have taken, if natural treatments have made an effect etc.

Here is a sample patient record. 




After collecting these responses from 30 patients, I then made a pie chart of how many patients said that Ayurveda has positively impacted their ailment.

Here are the results below.


This means that out of the 30 patients I looked at, only 3 responded with a "no" or a "no change" answer.

I will analyze the implications of this data in the next post.

Until next time,
Aashi

No comments:

Post a Comment